“I just push a little piece
through the window and I seh, If y’all only move ah gon shoot and
dem run for cover”
Members of a family on the West
Bank of Demerara are thankful that they are still alive despite the
efforts of at least seven heavily armed
gunmen to invade their home. They managed to thwart the
gunmen by barricading themselves in their home.
Reports are
that, at around 19:20 hours on Friday, at least seven heavily armed
men pounced on a family at Viva-La-Force. 
According to Oudheia Sookdeo, because of a
previous encounter with gunmen, it has become a norm for members of
his family to secure themselves indoors early.
“We were
watching television and we heard the grill on the front door start
rocking, so right away everybody just stay quiet because we realize
that people were trying to get into the house,” Sookdeo said.
He
added that, after the noise continued, he peered through a window
only to see three men climbing on to the roof. According to him, all
the men carried guns and some wore face masks.

A piece of steel rod
“By that
time there were at least four others surrounding the house and
trying to get in, but everywhere was already locked up. After I saw
the three on the roof, I went for a piece of steel rod which I keep
in the house, and I just push a little piece through the window and
I she, 'If y’all only move ah gon shoot,' ” Sookdeo
recalled.

Sookdeo said that the men on the roof started running
for cover. The man recalled that, after that episode, he heard heavy
running in the yard, followed by rapid gunshots. Residents in the
area said they heard about eight to 10 gunshots. However, no one was
injured, even as a bullet was found in a cupboard in the family
house.
The man told this newspaper that one security camera on
his premises was also destroyed by one of the gunmen. The family is
of the view that the men who carried out the attack are known to
them, because of the mode of operation. Sookdeo’s son, Joseph
Persaud, said that footage picked up by the security camera clearly
suggests that.
“At one point during the attack, the footage on
the camera showed one of the gunmen walking backward to the camera
and just reaching his hand up and turning it in the other
direction,” Persaud said.
He added that from the other images on
the camera they were able to identify some of the men. The
family is, however, thankful for the quick response given by members
of the Guyana Police Force.
“Ten minutes after the men left the
Police arrive…if I didn’t bluff they probably woulda stick around
and de Police woulda catch them,” Sookdeo opined. He said he
strongly believes that the men used the Demerara
River as their port of entry and exit to the area.
This is
the second time in six months that the Sookdeo family has been a
victim of such an attack. On the previous occasion, in November last year, heavily armed men
attacked the family, relieving them of close to $5M in cash and jewellery.
A senior Police
source close to the investigations has revealed that two suspects
have since been arrested for the attempted robbery.

The source said the men were arrested some time on
Friday night one village away from where the incident occurred.
Investigations are ongoing.
Sunday, May 25,
2008